2 lg yellow onions, cubed
2 Tb olive oil
1 can ( 28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained ( I use Muir Glen Organic no salt added)
1 quart veggie or beef broth ( I use Kitchen Basics no salt added)
1 C sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. dried basil ( I use fresh)
1/2 tsp. salt ( I omit)
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 C loosely packed spinach leaves
Grated Parmesan optional
In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions in oil cover medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in spinach; simmer for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Garnish individual servings with cheese if desired.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Printed in Birds & Blooms Grow It Cook It, April, 2011
Veggie Tacos -Vegetarian, Adaptable to Vegan
2 Tb olive oil 3/4 lb zucchini trimmed and diced
3 scallions, trimmed and sliced 2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt ( I omit) 1/4 tsp pepper
1 can (8.75 oz) corn ( I use fresh) 1 can ( 14.5 oz ) pinto beans drained & rinsed
2 C baby spinach chopped 3/4 cup salsa verde ( tomatillo salsa)
1 pkg hard taco shells 2/3 C crumbled farmer cheese or queso blanco
1. Heat oil in large skilled over med. to med. high heat. Add zucchini and scallions. Cook 5 min.
2. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook 1 min.
3. Stir in beans, corn, spinach, and salsa. Cook 3 - 4 min or until spinach is wilted.
4. Meanwhile, heat taco shells in microwave for 45 sec. Spoon about 1/2 cup veggie mixture into taco shell and sprinkle with a little cheese. Add a squeeze of lime and serve.
Printed from Family Circle, April, 1, 2011.
Mango - Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
Delicious with crusty bread and a light grilled fish!
4 bacon slices diced
1/2 medium size red onion thinly sliced ( I omit)
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1 Tb lime juice
1 Tb honey
1 9-oz pkg fresh spinach
1 mango, peeled and diced
1/2 C crumbled queso fresco ( fresh Mexican cheese)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook bacon in skillet over medium-high heat 6 - 8 min or until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tb drippings in skillet.
2. Saute' onion in hot drippings 2-3 min or until soft. Add vinegar, lime juice, and honey. Cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet.
3. Place spinach in a serving bowl. Add warm vinaigrette and toss to coat. Top with mango, queso fresco and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Serves 4. Printed in Southern Living March 2011.
Spinach Manicotti Adaptable to vegetarian
1pkg manicotti noodles
20 oz. frozen chopped spinach
1C shredded mozzarella cheese
8oz cottage ricotta cheese
½ -1C Parmesan cheese
1 jar Prego pasta sauce
1lb. Italian sausage fried and drained
Cook noodles. Cook spinach; drain and mix with cheeses and egg. Drain noodles and stuff with mixture. Lightly grease shallow pan and place stuffed noodles in pan. Cover with Prego and sausage mixture. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan. Bake @ 400 10-20 min.
Berry Delicious Salad & Vinaigrette Vegetarian
4 C baby spinach
½ red onion sliced thin ( I omit)
½ pint strawberries, sliced
3 oz. bleu cheese, crumbled
1/3 C cashews
1 T seedless strawberry or raspberry jam
½ T Dijon mustard
¼ C red wine vinegar
6 T extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste