Wheat Berry Vegetable Salad with Toasted Sesame Dressing - Vegan, adaptable to low sodium
1/3 C plus 1 Tb canola oil divided
3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 C cider vinegar
1 Tb sugar
1/4 tsp salt ( I omit)
1 green onion coarsly chopped
1 Tb toasted sesame oil
1C wheat berries ( farro) rinsed
6 C water
1 Tb canola oil
8 kale leaves, rinsed, stems removed, and chopped
1/2 tsp salt ( I omit)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 lb carrots, pelled and sliced diagonally
1/2 lb yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 lb sugar snap peas, strung and cut diagonally into thirds
1. To prepare dressing, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tb canola oil. When hot, add garlic & mustard seeds. Saute about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
2. Place cider vinegar, sugar, salt, green onion, garlic mixture in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse together, then process, drizzling in 1/3 cup canola oil through the food chute. Drizzle in sesame oil through chute and process until dressing emulsifies.
3. To prepare salad, add wheat berries to a pot of boiling water and cook about 25 minutes. Drain well.
4. Heat 1 Tb canola oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add kale, saute' until wilted, 5 - 7 min. Add salt and red pepper flakes. Add carrots, and continue to cook another 5-7 min. Add yellow bell pepper and sugar snap peas. Cook until kale is tender and other veggies are tender-crisp, another 4-5 min.
5. Combine veggies, wheat berries and dressing. Toss well. Serves 8 ( We served 3 as a main course.)
Printed in Relish, May 2011